Saturday, April 9, 2011

Reminiscing to Appreciate Today

It seems like it was only yesterday that I couldn’t wait to get up to go to my first day of first grade. I was in Mrs. Langston’s class and she always had a ready smile when we greeted her. It wasn’t that long ago when the greatest concerns I had were how many pieces of first grade artwork I could show my sister’s boyfriend before she rescued him.
It was only yesterday that I climbed into the top of an oak tree and put my foot in the rope knot and jumped: Tarzan had nothing on me as I barely missed the picnic table below.
It was only yesterday that we were convinced that a monster lived in the little shack across the ditch bank at our school. It took months to convince us otherwise; we played cautiously avoiding even a slight glance towards the shack.
It seems like only yesterday when we lost the tournament because our team captain didn’t know how to play Tic-Tac-Toe. We were really upset with him because we answered all of the questions that were asked. When we went to the gameboard to claim our square, he didn’t have a strategy to give us the most chances to win. We had study guides filled with the questions, answers, and Bible references. I can remember pouring in knowledge from those books memorizing great portions of it. Like all sports, however, winning isn’t always the one with the most points.
I suppose that it’s easy to place blame on others instead of taking responsibility for our own actions. We had the Bible knowledge, and we were prepared to go to battle; but, in our zeal to win—we forgot to remember the reason why we were studying. Being a part of the team means that you work together. Teams are unified. They set a purpose to exist, and spend a lifetime fulfilling that purpose.
It seems like only yesterday that I began my journey with the Lord. It has been a marvelous journey and I am truly blessed. They are truly winners because they have learned the Word of God, and I want to encourage them to continue studying the scriptures.
“Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart...Trust in the Lord with all thine heart: and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes; fear the Lord, and depart from evil.” (Proverbs 3:3-6).
Let’s worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness -gm
http://www.thepentecostalsofgreenville.com/

No comments: